Hyperbaric medicine and wound care
The Hyperbaric and Wound Care Center at Plainview Hospital is committed to relieving suffering, minimizing wound-related complications and healing patients with acute and chronic wounds. The nationally recognized staff of doctors and nurses is dedicated to treating all patients, especially those diagnosed with poor circulation, bone infections, pressure ulcers, radiation injuries from cancer treatment, and complications from surgery, as well as hard to heal wounds compounded by diabetes.
The wound care center at Plainview Hospital is one of only five centers in New York state “Accredited – with Distinction” by the Undersea Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) to offer hyperbaric oxygen therapy. In addition to having this significant distinction – from the only hyperbaric accrediting agency in the world – many of our staff members serve as expert surveyors for the UHMS, traveling across the United States inspecting hospitals seeking UHMS accreditation.
With four hyperbaric oxygen chambers on site, the center utilizes hyperbaric oxygen therapy as a modality to treat wounds and salvage limbs. This is a noninvasive treatment using oxygen at increased atmospheric pressures to help speed the wound healing process. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is proven effective by the FDA to aid in the healing of certain wounds and reduces the risk of amputation. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is also helpful for:
- Acute carbon monoxide poisoning
- Compromised skin grafts and flaps
- Crush injuries/compartment syndrome
- Diabetes-related wounds
- Necrotizing soft tissue infections
- Osteomyelitis (chronic refractory bone infections)
- Osteoradionecrosis (delayed injuries from previous radiation)
- Radiation ulcers (delayed soft tissue injuries from previous radiation)
- Vascular thrombosis
Each patient treated in the Wound Care Center is given an individualized care plan that includes care from a multidisciplinary team of:
- Vascular surgeons
- Board-certified hyperbaric physicians
- General surgeons
- Plastic surgeons
- Podiatric surgeons
- Registered nurses
- Certified hyperbaric registered nurses
- Advanced certified hyperbaric registered nurses
- Clinical wound specialists
- Certified hyperbaric technologists
- Weight management consultants
- Physical therapists
- Certified diabetes educator
- Infectious disease specialists
- Radiology services
- Laboratory services
- Social workers
Why choose us?
At the Hyperbaric and Wound Care Center at Plainview Hospital we are singularly focused on treating hard-to-heal wounds. This focus allows us to devote the time, thought and skill to each patient’s case that can result in improved healing. We have the experience needed to evaluate wounds and determine the most effective method of wound closure. Our expert clinicians are nationally recognized for their skill and years of experience in the field.
With nearly 14,000 patient encounters in 2018, the Wound Care Center is one of the busiest in the region. Patients consistently choose our center over the competition because:
- Quality standards and outcomes. Though hyperbaric oxygen therapy can be a very effective and safe means of treating nonresponsive wounds and various other ailments, it may also cause mild side effects. Your hyperbaric registered nurse and physician will discuss your need to undergo the treatment and mitigate any issues, problems or concerns that may arise. The hyperbaric specialists at Plainview Hospital have combined over 80 years of experience in utilizing hyperbaric oxygen, employing the safest means and highest standards the hyperbaric industry can offer – resulting in the optimal patient outcome. In addition to our high volume of patients, we also have a 95 percent healing rate – well above the national average.
- Personalized care. The Wound Care Center recognizes the importance to treat not just the wound, but the whole patient. Treating hard-to-heal wounds is our only purpose. This focus allows us to devote the time, thought and skill to each patient’s case that can result in improved healing. We have the experience needed to evaluate wounds and determine the most effective method of wound closure. A customized wound management plan is developed for each patient and adjusted when necessary for optimal results.
- Advanced care. Plainview Hospital is equipped with four hyperbaric chambers in the outpatient facility. The Wound Care Center offers patients high quality care that is safe and effective. In addition to a high healing rate, we also maintain a high limb salvage rate above the national average.